Jonathan Capehart Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Doing what needed to be done

Image for the news result
“I didn’t need a title to go out and do everything I could to help elect Democrats before I was DNC chair, and I don’t need one now.”
“You don’t sign up for this work to be carried through the streets on people’s shoulders.”
Those 16 words bespeak an aggressive politician willing to take brick bats from all comers on behalf of the interests of her constituents and her party, and they tell you a lot about the person who said them, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz. The Florida Democrat had plenty else to say in her first extensive interview since and about her departure under fire as the chair of the Democratic National Committee in July.
LISTEN HERE
career. They give you an insight into her tumultuous relationship with Sen. Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign. And they highlight her stubborn insistence to hang onto and then her willingness to relinquish the leadership of the DNC.
“I would not have chosen to finish my term as chair in that way,” she said, “But I haven’t looked back.” Yet, we did as I asked her to recount what went down at the chaotic Florida delegation breakfast on the first day of the Democratic convention. And I asked her directly if the rumors that President Obama personally called her to tell her to step down.
“That’s absolutely untrue. That did not happen. Did not happen,” she said emphatically. “There is no one that asked me to step down. I took myself out.” Besides, Wasserman Schultz said confidently later, “I didn’t need a title to go out and do everything I could to help elect Democrats before I was DNC chair, and I don’t need one now.”

No comments: